Welcome to The Advent School’s Engineering and Design Summer Program. Our sessions run from June 17 to August 2. (Note: No program during the week of 4th of July).
ABOUT THE ADVENT SCHOOL ENGINEERING AND DESIGN SUMMER PROGRAM
Each summer, Advent’s SMART Lab is transformed into a makerspace where children from around the world become designers, tinkerers, and builders. The Advent School summer program offers three completely unique two-week sessions for children ages 5 through 12.
Designers begin each session by sorting through recycled materials, learning proper tool use, and engaging in the design process. Each day, the designers and faculty set out to explore the city, play games, and gather inspiration. On the last Friday of each session, the designers share their creations and prototypes with friends and family at the Design Expo.
Advent’s summer program is grounded in the School’s mission. We believe:
- All children are creative problem solvers
- In the importance of collaboration
- Boston is an extension of the classroom, which helps children identify the needs of their communities and find inspiration
Drop Off: 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Program: 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Pick Up: 4:00 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.
Extended Day: 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Drop off, program, pick up, and extended day pick up is at the SMART Lab, 99 W Cedar St., Boston, MA 02114
Program Cost: $1,200 for each two-week session
Extended Day Cost: $20 per day
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
JUNIOR DESIGNERS (Children currently enrolled in Pre-K and Kindergarten)
Reggio-inspired, the Junior Designers program provides ample opportunities for the exploration of scientific concepts and creation of new theories. Open-ended questions invite the Junior Designers to engage with materials in innovative ways, while the design process helps extend their thinking through problem solving.
Student to Staff Ratio: 9:1
SENIOR DESIGNERS (Children currently enrolled in first and second grade)
The design process is a central focus for the Senior Designers. Identifying the problem, generating solutions, and exchanging feedback are all steps that aid in the building, testing, and creation of a final prototype. Senior Designers learn proper power tool use and create with a vast array of materials.
Student to Staff Ratio: 10:1
DESIGN LEADERS (Children currently enrolled in third through sixth grade)
Combining the principles of design with leadership skills, the Design Leaders teach and support others on their journey through the design process. As they create, the Senior Leaders share their knowledge with the younger designers during joint activities. Trips into the community and visits from guest speakers extend the learning and provide material for new leadership opportunities.
Student to Staff Ratio: 10:1
WHAT TO BRING
- A nutritious lunch
- Two snacks
- Refillable water bottle
- Closed-toed shoes (We work with tools and messy things!)
- Comfortable clothes that can get dirty
- Sunscreen already applied for the day, and for application throughout the day. We go outside every day!
A TYPICAL DAY
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Morning Exploration
9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m. Morning Meeting
9:15 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. Morning Snack
9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Design Challenges/Skill Building/Free Design
11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Lunch and Recess at The Esplanade or Splash Pad
1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Design Challenges/Free Design/Collaborative Projects
3:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. Afternoon Snack
3:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Design Videos
4:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. Dismissal
4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Extended Day (additional fee)
- We require a non-refundable/non-transferable deposit of $200 per session per child by January 21, 2019.
- The remaining balance of $1,000 per session per child is due on March 1, 2019.
- Please note that enrollment is not complete until payments are received.
- You can pay your deposit or balance by check or cash. If you are uncertain about the deposit/balance amount you owe, check your Family ID account.
- If fees are not received by the deadlines, we will open up the spot to the next family on the waitlist.
- All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Please mail or drop off all payments to:
The Advent School
15 Brimmer Street
Boston, MA 02108
Please make checks out to The Advent School. In the memo line write your child’s full name and what session they are attending. IE: Evan Roman/Wild Designs