Jr. Sailing Program Mission Statement:
The CYC Jr. Sailing program provides a safe and fun environment where youth sailors of all ages and abilities can improve their sailing skills, while learning respect for their fellow sailors, boats, and the water. Sportsmanship and respect are of the utmost importance, and it is the instructors’ responsibility to engender these qualities among the sailors. The program strives to provide a high level of excellence as well as a variety of boats and classes to instill a lifetime love of the sport of sailing.
Safety, fun, and learning are of the utmost importance to the Conanicut Yacht Club Junior Sailing Program. The Junior Sailing Program Director is the Chief Safety Officer for CYC’s junior sailing classes and activities. Coaches and instructors are responsible for providing a safe and healthy environment on the water. Coaches and instructors are empowered to enforce all the Club’s rules and regulations, and to make other decisions necessary to ensure the safety of our students. While each sailor in the group has her/her own responsibilities, the group works as a team and is responsible for the Program as a group. Class and club rules, as well as class goals are discussed and created as a group during the first and second classes each session. Students are reminded of the class and club rules and goals throughout each session. Questions and concerns can be directed to the Program Director. If the Sailing Director cannot address your concern, the Junior Sailing Committee Chairman may. Meg@ConanicutYachtClub.org
General Junior Sailing Notes for 2018:
• *Sailors must be 8 years old by September 1, 2018 to participate in junior sailing
• A 2018 CYC Jr. Sailing t-shirt will be given to each sailor whose registration is received by May 1 only. Please be sure to indicate your desired t-shirt size on the registration form during the registration process.
• Opening Night will be held Friday, June 22 from 6-6:30 pm outside of the junior room on the back lawn. While it is not mandatory, it is an important evening for all junior sailing participants and parents. Please do your best to attend. (All children are welcome.) T-shirts for 2018 will be handed out at this time.
• Optimist & Green Fleet Racers: The week of June 22 will serve as a rigging week for all Optimist & Green Fleet sailors. Parents will receive an e-mail from the team coach/coaches to set up a time to meet. The coaches for Green Fleet & Optimist Racing will be on hand to help your sailor rig one on one. Parents will also be briefed on the racing schedule - how to register, when to register, and expectations.
• You will need your health insurance information (carrier and number) on hand to register.
• The registration is one long page. You have not completed registration until you click the 'Submit' button. All sailors must be registered online.
• Contact the Program Director, Meg Myles with any registration issues – Meg@ConanicutYachtClub.org
• Lunchtime Speakers & Activities – Periodically lunch-time speakers will be scheduled to talk to the sailors about marine science, environmental science, and pertinent environmental issues. All sailors who stay for lunch will be asked to come and listen to the speaker. The lunch-time speaker series is open to all children, all ages, and is free of charge. Children and adults not in the junior sailing program are welcome as well. The purpose of the lunchtime speakers is for enrichment purposes – to get kids feeling good and excited about the environment around them.
CYC also has a Junior Tennis Program. Tennis add-ons for beginner sailing can be found while registering for junior sailing on this site. Additional tennis programs that work with sailing schedules can be found on the tennis website; or you may speak with the Director of Racquets, Rob Parker, to see what is available. The Director of Racquets and the Sailing Director try to coordinate schedules as much as possible to allow children to participate in both sailing and tennis.
Note: If your child participates on the tennis team, there is an unavoidable conflict on Wednesdays. Please contact the Program Director, Meg Myles to discuss this.
Please check CYC's tennis website page for more information and available classes & clinics. To register, contact: email@example.com
(CYC does not and cannot transport children to CYC's tennis courts in Shoreby Hill. It is a short walk or bike though from the waterfront.)