The information below is designed to answer frequently asked questions about the school registration process for new students.
Only children who are at least 5 years old as of December 1 of the year of enrollment, under 21 and do not possess a high school diploma may enroll. In addition, children seeking to enroll must be residents of the District. Generally, a student is resident of the place that his/her parent(s) reside.
Where is new student registration held?
Registration takes place in the Student Center (373-6100, ext 30040) for students that are currently enrolled in Kindergarten and Grades 1-12. Children entering kindergarten must be five years old by December 1 of the year they begin school. Registration for kindergarten is held at the elementary school during the month of April of the year prior to entrance.
To ensure someone is available to assist you, please call before visiting. Parents or guardians must accompany all new students.
What information is needed to register?
1. Proof of Age: Original documentation of birth, in the form of an original, state-issued birth certificate, baptismal certificate or passport. Other forms of documentation may be offered if the above are not available. See attached list.
2. Proof of Residency: Please provide a copy of the deed to the home in which you reside, a purchase contract, showing you are purchasing a home in the District, with a letter from your attorney stating the approximate date and time of closing, your Lease Agreement or statement from your landlord, home owner and /or Tenant from whom you lease or live with, or a statement from a third party establishing the physical presence of the parent(s)/ guardian(s) in the school district
3. Official immunization record signed by a physician or clinic staff.
4. Health Appraisal Form, Dental Health Certificate. (within 12 months of the year enrolled).
5. Custody papers, if applicable. If the student is not the biological child, documentation must be presented which proves a permanent and total transfer of custody and control has been achieved.
Please register as early as possible. In cases where students are registered 2 days or less before school begins, they may be unable to begin school or have bus transportation on opening day.
Only documents using the student’s legal name (the name that appears on the original birth certificate or name change document) will be included in the student’s official record. The complete name and mailing address of the student’s previous school must be provided to the registrar. Academic records, including transcripts or most recent report cards, should be presented to the school after registration is completed.
It is the duty of the administration of Stillwater Central Schools to establish clear guidelines for the registration of new students. In an effort to ensure that all students are properly placed, we ask that parents/guardians prove residency.
Parents/Guardians must provide the following for review:
Drivers License: with physical address of residence will also require 1 additional document. (see list below)
Drivers License: with PO Box will require 2 additional documents. (See list below)
- Proof of residency within the school district should include the name and address of the legal parent/guardian.
- Utility bills must be no more than 30-days old and show current service address.
- Registration documentation can be subject to a final review by the building administrator.
Additional Acceptable Documents:
- Utility Bill-Gas, Electric, Waste, Cable, Landline(non-cell)
- STAR Exemption
- Assistance Letter
- Voter Registration (most recent election)
- Automobile Insurance
- Mortgage statement (matching utility bill)
- Lease Agreement
- Homeowner’s Insurance
- Renter’s Insurance