ATHLETIC INFORMATION, ATHLETIC REGISTRATION, PRE-PARTICIPATION PHYSICAL EVALUATION AND OTHER STATE REQUIREMENTS
Dear Student Athletes and Parents/Guardians of Student Athletes:
Welcome to the Northern Highlands Regional School District on-line athletic registration. Before you begin you will need information such as: the exact date of your child's most recent physical exam, doctor's name and contact information, insurance carrier/policy number and emergency contact information. REMINDER: YOU MUST PAY THE DISTRICT REQUIRED USER FEE VIA THE FAMILYID REGISTRATION PROCESS - We no longer use PayForIt for SPORT payments. If your child is cut from a program you will be refunded the fee.
Enclosed please find information pertaining to the NHRHS athletic program and the various New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) and the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) acknowledgements/registrations required for student participation in athletics. The NJSIAA and the NJDOE require an Annual Pre-Participation Physical Evaluation (aka PPE) which includes History, Examination and Clearance Forms and a Seasonal Permission/Health Update (aka Form X). Before a student may participate in a sport (any form of athletic practice, tryouts etc.) a valid PPE, Form X and all FamilyID online acknowledgements/registrations must be received for review and approved by the Athletic Office, school nurse AND school doctor.
In order to eliminate any delay, all forms and the registration process should be submitted on or before the deadlines listed below. We prefer to receive all documents and submissions at least 30 days prior to the start of a season. Please note that forms and online registration are NOT valid if completed, dated or submitted more than 90 days prior to the start of the season. Your family physician (aka "medical home"), who knows the student's medical history best, should complete the physical examination. Make sure your doctor is certified in all state requirements to complete a New Jersey athletic physical examination. Our school physician, Dr. Hershman, is available to provide a physical evaluation only to students that do not have a family physician. Please contact 201-327-8700 ext. 513 for information.
FALL: Approximate Season Timeline: August 10-December 10
Registration/Submission of forms may begin on: May 20
Medical Forms/Acknowledgements are due by: July 20
WINTER: Approximate Season Timeline: November 10-March 20
Registration/Submission of forms may begin on: September 15
Medical Forms/Acknoweledgements are due by: November 1
SPRING: Approximate Season Timeline: March 1-June 10
Registration/Submission of forms may begin on: December 30
Medical Forms/Acknowledgements are due by: February 1 - the sooner the better!
CONTENTS and REQUIREMENTS:
- Our Athletic Information Packet, which includes, but is not limited to NJSIAA Eligibility, Expectations, Hazing/HIB, Commitment Guidelines, Seasonal Time Frames, Schedules/Postponements, College Visits, Attendance, Equipment, Transportation, Insurance, Athletic Trainer, Awards and Varsity Jackets, Summer, Sportsmanship, Chain of Command, Tryouts, Fundraising, User Fees etc. can be accessed via the following link: ATHLETIC INFORMATION PACKET
- Various NJDOE/NJSIAA Acknowledgements/Registrations: All acknowledgements/registrations must be signed off by a parent or guardian AND the student athlete. All agreements and policies listed within must be read and consented to prior to student athlete participation. Some forms/acknowledgements are printed paper/hard copies and some are FamilyID electronic registrations (see specifics below). Both are required to complete the process.
A. PRINTED PAPER/HARD COPIES REQUIRED TO BE SUBMITTED: These forms can be downloaded and printed from this FamilyID website or from the Northern Highlands website. Please use the links on the right side of the page to download and print these forms.
1. A Seasonal Permission/Health Update (aka Form X) - is required for each athletic season. These school year seasonal forms are required prior to the start of tryouts/practice for each season and should not be completed or dated and submitted more than 90 days prior to the start of the season. This form must be printed and submitted to the athletic office at least two weeks prior to the start of the season. Health updates are reviewed by the school nurse AND school doctor.
2. An Athletic Pre-Participation Physical Evaluation (aka PPE) which includes History, Physical Examination and Clearance Forms, is partially completed and signed by a parent/guardian (History Form) and reviewed by the examining physician. The Physical Examination and Clearance Forms are completed, signed and stamped by the examining physician. The school physician must review and approve all completed forms prior to any athletic participation. A completed physical evaluation will cover the athlete for one full year from the date it was administered. For maximum efficiency, we recommend that you schedule your child's physical evaluation during early June. There is no online program for the PPE – this is a paper only procedure.
The PPE and Form X are available on the Northern Highlands website and linked via FamilyID. Hard copies are also available in the Athletic, Nurse and High School Offices. Please remember that at busy times it can take several weeks to get an appointment for a routine physical exam.
B. FAMILYID ONLINE REGISTRATIONS/ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: These online acknowledgements are required ONCE annually and must be submitted prior to any participation. These registrations/acknowledgements may not be submitted sooner than 90 days prior to the first season of participation. See timelines above.
1. NJSIAA Concussion
2. NJDOE Sudden Cardiac Death
3. NHRHS Media Release
4. NJSIAA Steroid/Banned Substance Random Testing
5. Eligibility Statement (eight semesters, credits, transfer etc.)
6. Medical Treatment
8. NHRHS Summer Permission
- 9. ImPACT - (concussion baseline screening)
- 10. NJDOE Opioid Fact Sheet
REQUIREMENT FOR DOCTORS – EFFECTIVE 5/1/2015:
Pursuant to New Jersey state law N.J.S.A. 18A:40-41.7 (Scholastic Student Safety Act), completion of a Student-Athlete Cardiac Assessment Professional Development Module by the physician, advanced practice nurse or physician assistant who performs a student athlete's annual physical examination is REQUIRED. The New Jersey Department of Education announced that this module is now available to all health care practitioners in the state.
Once again, the school nurse and doctor cannot medically clear a student for tryouts, practice or any other participation until all required forms, registrations and acknowledgements have been reviewed and approved. Student athletes/families who do not follow the guidelines could miss valuable practice time, but nothing is more important than the safety and wellbeing of our students. With your cooperation, clearance for athletic participation can be carried out with minimal inconvenience and maximum effectiveness.
Best wishes for a successful school year and sport season. Go Highlands!
Director of Athletics and Student Activities
Please deliver or mail all Physical Evaluation (PPE) forms and the Seasonal Permission/Health Update (Form X) directly to:
ATTN: Athletic Forms
Athletic / Activities Office -Room 240
Northern Highlands Regional High School
298 Hillside Avenue
Allendale, NJ 07401
If you have technical issues or questions about this program, Contact FamilyID directly at 888-800-5583 x1.
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN and select your sport to continue to the registration process.