No student shall represent their school in interschool athletics (including practices and tryouts) until:
- This registration through FamilyID has been processed and approved by the Athletic Department;
- A signed physical form is submitted to the Athletic Department verifying that the student has passed an adequate physical examination within the past year, noting that in the opinion of the examining physician, physician's assistant, nurse practitioner or a certified/registered chiropractor, the student is physically fit to participate in high school athletics;
- The student has the consent of his/her parent/s or legal guardian/s to participate, and they and the student participant have read, understand and agree to the CHSAA Competitors Brochure (link to your right) guidelines for eligibility.
- The Athletic participation fee and all outstanding student course fees, transportation fees and any outstanding fines are paid in full per District 27J Policy. Please review your Infinite Campus account (link on the District website) to verify any balance due and/or to pay them online (outstanding fees must be paid before tryouts).
- If student is participating in the same sport outside their participation at Brighton High School, CHSAA Form 24 must also be completed, signed and kept on file at the BHS Athletic Office.
Athletic fees can also be paid online on the district website. All fees/fines can be paid with check or cash at he Athletic Office. Physicals may be turned in online or emailed to the Athletic Secretary at email@example.com. Please be sure to include student's full name in the email.
NOTE: There will be a 24 hour window before you are cleared to participate in a practice.
Athletic participation fees are $135.00 for the 2017-18 school year (subject to change for upcoming years). This fee must be paid before the first day of practice. If a student is trying out for a sport and does not make the team, you will receive a refund upon request if request is made before the first game of the season. REMINDER: All Infinite Campus fees must be paid before student can participate in a sport/activity, per district policy.
If the student is eligible for District free/reduced lunch program, please submit a copy of the District eligibility letter to the Athletic Secretary to determine if you qualify for a fee waiver.
If you are a transfer student from another high school, played sports for another high school, or an exchange student you will be required to notify the athletic office and to fill out additional paperwork and turn into the athletic office. Please see CHSAA links to your right. Transfer Students need to review and complete CHSAA Forms 7 and 9. Foreign Exchange Students need to review and complete CHSAA Form 11.
HOMESCHOOL/ONLINE/ATTENDING ANOTHER SCHOOL
After registering on FamilyID, contact the Athletic Secretary or come into the office with your physical, payment for the registration fee ($135), last semester grades, contact information for weekly attendance/grade confirmation and proof of residency. (Note: your address of residency will determine the school you should attend for athletics.) Homeschool students must also complete and return CHSAA Form 6 (link to your right).
ELIGIBILITY FOR PARTICIPATION
BHS follows CHSAA Eligibility Plan A Requirements: Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 5 classes to participate and must be passing five classes. Plan A requirement is a one F minimum. Coaches may individually adopt a more stringent grade eligibility requirement.