Dear Students and Families,
We are so excited to begin the third year of the Music Innovates program! Music Innovates is a partnership between the Spokane Symphony and Spokane Public Schools.
This program gives instrumental students hands-on classical music instruction and coaching provided by Spokane Symphony musicians and trained volunteers. We are looking forward to a new year with additional schools and students.
Who can participate?
- Students in 5th and 6th grade at Audubon, Browne, Finch, Garfield, Holmes (4th grade MI students also), Spokane Public Montessori schools.
- Students in 7th and 8th grade from Glover and Spokane Public Montessori.
- Students must be enrolled in the band and strings classes offered at their school in order to participate in Music Innovates.
Music Innovates is an afterschool program offered free to participating students through Spokane Public Schools. Music Innovates was created to enhance and support the fantastic music programs already offered during the school day. Instrumental music students from participating schools have the opportunity to receive a variety of sectional coaching and individual attention specific to their band and strings instrument.
Under the baton of Spokane Symphony Assistant Conductor, Jorge Luis Uzcátegui, the students combine to create a full orchestra each Thursday afternoon and for several performances during the year. This unique and empowering experience instills a sense of teamwork, leadership, discipline, creativity, communication, and problem solving skills. Find a quote high quality music education helps children succeed in school and in life.
Program Days, Times, and Hours
- Afterschool - Monday - Thursday from 3:45 p.m. - 5:45 p.m. (regularly scheduled school days)
- Glover Middle School (2404 W. Longfellow Ave.)
- Late October, 2017 – June, 2018
Consistent attendance is crucial for students to be successful in the program. Every student is an important part of the team and absences affect everyone. Students will be allowed 3 excused absences per semester, please complete the attendance calendar in the registration packet so we know when to expect your student and when they will not be in attendance.
Music Innovates is a school-sponsored activity. Therefore, all school rules and expectations must be followed at all times. We are guests at Glover Middle School and need treat their facilities with respect. It is also an expectation that all coaches, students, and equipment are treated with respect.
1st - Student will be issued a warning from their sectional coach or teacher.
2nd -Student will meet with Music Innovates Lead/Spokane Symphony Lead
3rd - Student’s family will be contacted to make a plan for the child to be successful.
4th - If there are continued issues and the plan made with the family is not effective the child may be removed from the Music Innovates Program.
Other important details…
- Busing provided to and from Glover MS and the participating schools.
- Afterschool snacks provided each day.
- Students are responsible for coming prepared each day with their instrument and music.
- The program is provided free of charge to students in Spokane Public Schools.
- Non- busing students must be picked up from Glover Middle School at 5:45pm
Communication is key to the success of any program. If you have any questions, please contact the following.
Spokane School Music Innovates Lead
Spokane Symphony Music Innovates Lead
Lisa White, Director of Afterschool Programs
Lisawh@spokaneschools.org or (509) 354-7293
Janet Napoles- Manger of Education Programs for the Spokane Symphony
Janetnapoles@SpokaneSymphony.org or (509) 464-7062