In an effort to provide quality coaches for secondary school athletes, New York State has established standards required of all coaches, volunteer non-paid, and paid coaches. Non-certified teacher & all volunteer non-paid coaches must complete the following to coach in New York State:
Non-Teacher Coaching Certification(steps 1-5 need to be done 1st year. Step 6 courses needs to be completed by 3rd year coaching and Step 7 courses need to be completed by 5th year coaching).
2. DASA 6-Hour course (non-certified teacher-coaches)
3. Child Abuse Recognition course & School Violence Prevention (SAVE) Course. (link to approved online courses)
4. NYSED-Approved First Aid/CPR Courses (listed in NYSED PE Toolkit: Athletics & Coaching ) (Midlakes will offer CPR twice a year at no charge to the coach) (First Aid training will be offered by Midlakes once a year at no charge to the coach)
5. Temporary Certification (years 1-3):
- Completed Temporary Coaches license. Done through NYS TEACH. Renewed annually.
NFHS Accredited Interscholastic Coach (AIC) certification
- Fundamentals of Coaching ($35)
- First Aid, Health & Safety for Coaches ($45) (Midlakes will offer
Sports-Specific Course (cost varies by sport)
- If a particular sport-specific course is not offered the coach must take the Teaching Sports Skillscourse ($50)
- 2nd or 3rd sport certifications: take that sport-specific course and have athletic director complete verification form referenced below.
- Concussion in Sports (Free) *Renewed every two years*
7. Professional Certification (by 5th year)
NFHS Certified Interscholastic Coach (CIC) certification
- Completion of Accredited Interscholastic Coach (AIC) requirement plus…