All athletes are expected to provide leadership for other members of the student body, and to act in an exemplary manner that will do credit to the team, the school, and the community.
- Any candidate for an athletic team must meet the following requirements:
- Eligibility: A student will be ineligible to participate in any interscholastic sport or any school activity, except intramurals, if he is placed on Academic Probation.
- In order to be eligible for participation, a student must not be 19 years old on or before September 2nd of his Senior Year. Freshmen may to compete at the Freshman Level if they turn 16 before September 1.
- Notify the Athletic Director if a transfer student.
- Completed financial responsibilities for equipment issued during the previous season. A "season" for a particular sport ends with the final MIAA-sponsored tournament or event.
- Must have an updated physical on file in the Nurse's Office, and have submitted a signed Parent/Guardian permission form to the Athletic Office
- Read the MIAA Concussion Information.
- Read the opioid misuse policy (under Links) and supporting documents
- During the tryout period, each coach will describe his expectations for team members.
- Athletes must demonstrate their ability to meet these expectations.
- If an athlete is not selected for a team, he may contact the coach personally for an explanation.
- Once a student has been selected for a team, he may not quit to join another team.
- If an athlete is not selected for a team, he should explore participation in another sport.
The coach and coaching staff for each sport has the sole responsibility for:
- Selecting players.
- Deciding the appropriate level of play for each athlete.
- Determining the amount of playing time for each athlete.
If an athlete has any questions about this process, he should ask the coach. If the matter is not resolved at this stage, parents may request a meeting with the coach. IF the matter continues to be unresolved, parents may schedule a meeting with the Athletic Director.
As a general rule, an athlete must be in attendance in school for at least a half day to participate in practice sessions or contents. If a contest is scheduled for a weekend, the athlete must be in school by 11:00 A.M. on Friday. All questions regarding this rule will be handled by the Dean of Students.
School Equipment Responsibilities
- Athletes are responsible for proper care and maintenance of all athletic equipment and uniforms issued to them.
- Athletes will be charged replacement value for any equipment that is lost, stolen, or damaged.
- All equipment must be returned within seven days of the end of the season.
- Athletes may wear team uniforms only at time specified in specific team regulations.
All students must have a current physical exam on file in the nurse's office prior to the first tryout or season practice. The physical must be completed within the previous 13 months, and the physician/nurse practitioner must deem the student fit for athletic participation. If a physical expires during the athletic season, a student must complete a new physical in order to continue participation in athletics. Please do not give physical exams to the coaches or trainers; all physical exams must be submitted to the Catholic Memorial school nurse. Physicals can be mailed or faxed (617-325-0888) to the CM Health Office.
If any injury or illness occurs during the season that requires medical attention, the student must have the attending physician write an official note to return to athletic participation. This note must be submitted to the school nurse before the student may return to practice or games. This also applies to a player who was injured during a previous season.
The note must be on file with the Catholic Memorial Nurse's Office before the start of a sports season in order to be eligible to participate in athletic competition:
If you have any questions regarding our program, please contact the Athletic Department at 617-469-8004 or the School Nurse at 617-469-8009.
Medical Conditions & Emergency Medications
See updated policy and agreement below.