- This program is open to students who attend Wappingers Central School District.
- Students must be 16 years of age by the start of the first class and have a valid NY State Learner’s Permit (MV-100).
- The student and a parent MUST attend a MANDATORY ORIENTATION on Monday, September 17, 2018 at Van Wyck JHS auditorium from 6:30-9:00 p.m.
- Program is 32 sessions – 16 class lectures and 16 in-car sessions with 6 hours behind the wheel. Student must attend all 32 sessions to receive their completion certificate.
- For in-car sessions, students will be in a car with an instructor from American Driving Academy and three other students.
- Students will be picked up and dropped off at the high school for all in-car sessions.
- This is a pass/fail course. You must pass the course in order to receive a course completion certificate.
- This program teaches the students proper techniques, laws and responsibilities pertaining to driving in New York State. The course provides 48 hours of instruction as mandated by New York State, certified instructors, and the 5-hour NYS Pre-licensing certification.
- Upon successful passing & full completion of the entire course, students will receive an MV-285 (Course Completion Certificate) from the district in the mail approximately 4 weeks later. This provides an 10-15% premium insurance through most insurance companies, and a Class D (senior) driver’s license at age 17 upon successfully passing the NY state road test & submitting their MV-285 to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles
- The cost of the course is $425 and includes the driver education workbook used in class.
- Payment can be made in cash, check made payable to WCSD or credit card. A 3.07% processing fee will be added for all credit card payments (Visa, Mastercard or Discover only. No debit cards or Amex accepted.)
- If a student cannot be accommodated because classes are filled, all monies will be returned. No refunds will be given once your car selection has been made at orientation.
- Attendance at all lecture classes and in-car sessions is MANDATORY. All absences must be made up. In-car absences will carry an additional charge of $20 per student per in-car session that needs to be made up. More than 4 absences may be cause for the student to be dismissed from the course. Make up road hours will be made for excused absences only (illness with doctor’s note or family emergency.)
- Any absences in this session MUST BE MADE UP BY THE END OF THE NEXT SESSION according to NYS DMV regulations (i.e., by the end of the spring for students enrolled in the fall sessions)
- A parent or legal guardian MUST ATTEND the orientation with the student or the student will not be allowed to enroll in the program.
- Before registering, please consider your other time commitments that might interfere with your full participation with this program (i.e., sports, after school activities, employment schedules and academic responsibilities.) No refunds will be given after in-car assignments have been made at the orientation.
Lecture & Driving Times
- Students will have lecture once a week (1-1/2 hours) and will drive in the car once a week (1-1/2 hours) for 16 weeks.
- Lecture times & driving day & time will be chosen at the mandatory orientation. You will be called up at the orientation in the order that you registered on-line.
- Lecture classes at John Jay will be Mondays, 2:30-4:00 pm or 4:00-5:30 pm.
- Lecture classes at Ketcham will be Tuesdays, 2:30-4:00 pm or 4:00-5:30 pm.
- Depending upon enrollment, if we offer two lecture classes at a school, the times will be as stated above. If enrollment only allows us to run one class at a school, the lecture time at that school would be 2:35-4:05 and we would not run a 4:05 lecture class.
- Students MUST attend ALL 16 lectures & ALL 16 in-car sessions in order to be eligible to receive a completion certificate. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS.