Billiard Club Membership
Dear Parents / Guardians,
Welcome to the Cathedral High School Billiard Club! Here is a rundown of some basic club information, what we do, where we go, and what you are, in fact, agreeing to and giving permission for.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PERMITTING YOUR DAUGHTER/GUARDIANSHIP TO JOIN THE BILLIARD CLUB:
- Meets usually in the Café all year from 2:50 till about 5:00 or 5:30.
- Is free to join.
- Will initially meet on Tuesdays & Wednesdays. If one day becomes poorly attended, we will meet on the other.
- Places great importance on keeping our training sessions focused and as free from distraction as possible. To that end, only club members may attend practice sessions, not friends or parents, unless the school makes an exception in a particular case (e.g., a student considering joining the club would like to come once to see what it is like).
Our Involvement with the Billiard Education Foundation
- We host the BEF NY Junior State Championship Tournament every year at Eastside Billiards. This tournament is open to the public.
- Club members who win a qualifier get to compete on the national level in cities like Chicago or Las Vegas.
- Our members have competed in the Junior Nationals in three of the past four years.
- A special weekly training session will be created for advanced training to members going to the Nationals. No one other than the trainer(s) and the national qualifier(s) may attend these training sessions.
- Provided our donor base continues at necessary levels, any member qualifying for the Junior Nationals will have an all-expenses-paid trip to go there and compete. Such qualified members and their parents would be required to sign a special contract before travel arrangements are made.
- To date, no student’s family has had to pay anything.
Other Places We Travel To:
- Sometimes, if we have a lot of players and need several tables, we may play at East Side Billiards, located at East 86th Street between Third & Lexington Avenues (phone number: 212-831-POOL ). On such occasion, members will be charged only $5 for 1 ½ hours of pool time. This is a discounted rate. The Club would travel to East Side Billiards via the #4,5, or 6 train from 59th Street to 86th Street.
- On some other occasions, like Club parties, we will go via the M train to Slate NY, located at 54 West 21st Street in Manhattan (between Fifth and Sixth Avenues). (Phone number: 212-989-0096). There is no charge when we go there.
- Once or twice a year we travel to the NY Athletic Club (located at 180 Central Park S, New York, NY 10019; (212) 247-5100. It’s about 25 minutes by M57 or M31 bus or by foot.) There is no charge when we go there.
- Once or twice a year we travel to Carom Café (located at 3402 Linden Pl, Flushing, NY 11354; (718) 358-8585. It’s about 50 minutes taking the E and 7 subway lines. When going there, members are charged $10 for two hours.
Please be aware:
- Dates for travel to any of the above locations will be announced in advance on Google Classroom, so please make sure your daughter/guardianship shares her username & password to Google Classroom so that you can view her Billiard Club Google Classroom page (not to mention her other class pages) and stay informed.
- Whenever public transportation is required, students will be dismissed either directly from the venue we visit or from the bus stop/subway station. If you would prefer your daughter/guardianship not be dismissed from the venue, but rather be escorted to and dismissed from the bus stop/subway station please email me at the email address below.
- If it happens that we plan a trip to anywhere else, you will need to give a special Family ID permission for it before your daughter/guardianship can take part in the trip.
- Granting permission here covers
- 1) permission to join the Billiard Club membership,
- 2) permission to travel on occasion to the venues mentioned above, and
- 3) permission for any photos or videos of her taken at Billiard-Club-related events to be used in school-related and billiard-related publications.
Should you have any remaining questions or concerns, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message for me during regular school hours at 212-688-1545 and I will return your call ASAP.
BE SURE TO PRINT THIS PAGE BEFORE HITTING THE “REGISTER NOW” BUTTON!
Mr. Michael Muldoon
Billiard Club Founder & Director