Elementary basketball is offered in the winter for all Spokane Public Schools students who are in 5th and 6th grade. Students practice 2-3 times per week and compete regionally in intramural play.
- Number of students served per gender: 20-30
- Grades served: 5th-6th
- Basketball curriculum and coaches' training provided by SPS
- Offered in winter (January - February)
- Practice begins the week of Jan. 13 and ends the week of Feb. 27, 2020
- Teams practice 2 days per week for 6 weeks
- Teams compete in intramural play the week of February 3rd - 6th, February 10th -13th and February 18th- 20th
Browne Elementary Schedule
Boys Practice- Monday and Wednesday - 3 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Girls Practice - Tuesday and Thursday - 3 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Game Play - Hoopfest Model: 3-on-3
1. We use 3-on-3 Game Play in order to provide all kids with maximum playing time and to increase the number of ball touches by all kids. The SPS basketball program was designed to be a developmental program and IS NOT intended to replicate or replace AAU.
2. Divide Court: Competitive and Non-competitive sides
3. Divide players into 4 players per team - may substitute at any time
4. Each game will be 5-8 minutes using a running clock (Coaches determine the length used for all games before starting the first game.)
5. Each basket and free throw made is equal to one point
6. No stealing of dribble
7. Free entry pass above designated line/area
8. Defensive rebound must be brought back to designated line/area before attempting offensive play
9. One free throw allowed for called shooting falls
10. Held ball will result in alternating possession
11. Ball in play from other court will result in stoppage of play and check in at court monitor’s discretion