All Student Athletes in grades 5-8 are invited to develop their skills and passion for basketball, playing games against others. The Season runs from December 2 through end of February and practices are two days a week and for most teams from 3:00 to 4:30 (a few teams may practice from 4:30 to 6:00) in the St. Aloysius Gonzaga Garco Gym . Students/families need to choose between basketball and school drama (Peter Pan) because practices and events will conflict. Deadline for sign up is November 15 to allow time for coach placement. Almost all coaches are Gonzaga University students.
Games are on Sundays for grades 7 & 8 and Wednesdays for 5 & 6 grade.
This program is directed Coach Jim Stone.
Student Athletes are asked to provide designated basketball practice court only shoes for practice.
Why Students Should Participate in School Co-Curricular Activities
1. Program leaders are positive role models for student athletes.
2. Program leadaers are intentionally, deliberately, directly and diligently teach values.
3. Research shows Student Athletes who participate in school activities have a higher grade point average, less discipline problems and better school attendance.
4. Students have a higher sense of school engagement and belonging. Furthermore, a study of the transition from 8th grade to 9th grade found involvement in sports helped students with friendships during the transition.
5. Positive Youth Development/Life Skills are developed: initiative, respect, teamwork/leadership skills, discipline, work ethic, emotional control, goal setting, independence, self-confidence, caring, stress relief, fair play and acceptance of others are some of them.
6. Data from the CDC, shows students have better dietary habits, weight loss, healthy self image, interpersonal skills and avoidance of substance abuse and alcohol.
7. Students are more likely to attend college.
8. Research show students develop as better citizens.
9. Give your child the opportunity to discover what they are passionate about.
10. Co-curricular activities at St. Aloysius Gonzaga School have a great price value and practices are right after school!