The purpose of an interscholastic athletic/activity program is to promote, direct, and conduct interscholastic athletics/activities in such a manner as to further the aims of general education. Its purpose is also to promote friendly relations with other schools, uphold the rules and regulations set forth by the school board and the Oregon School Activities Association, encourage participation of all students, teach good sportsmanship, and develop ethical conduct.
Competition in athletics contributes to the accepted educational objectives, personal needs, and development of citizenship among all participants.
The interscholastic athletic program and the physical education program make an important contribution to the goals and objectives of the school. The two programs are not identical but are compatible and complementary.
It is hoped that each participant will be motivated and trained to strive for success, to obtain their peak performance as an athlete, and a team member, will experience learning opportunities in self-discipline, emotional control, and sportsmanship. All persons involved with athletics will:
- Emphasize proper ideals of sportsmanship, proper conduct and fair play.
- Stress the values derived from playing the game fairly. - Respect the integrity and judgment of officials.
-Achieve an understanding of the rules of the game.
- Achieve an understanding of the rules of the league and the district.
- Encourage leadership, goal setting, use of initiative and good judgment.
- Recognize that the purpose of athletics is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social and emotional well- being of the individuals involved.
Athletic activities are for all participants, parents, coaches and spectators