STEM and STEAM Summer Camps are ready for Summer 2018!
1. 4th and 5th Grade STEM – This is for incoming 4th and 5th grade students and will be offered at the Intermediate School from 9:00-12:00 during the week of June 25th - June 29th. Your teacher will greet you at the front office on the first day. STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) is a way to show young girls and boys the never-ending possibilities of job options in their future. During camp week the boys and girls will be diving into several hands-on activities to demonstrate how exciting STEM can be! Students will be working with different technology to develop their concept of STEM. They will also see how both boys and girls play a role in STEM jobs of the future. MAX 25 STUDENTS
2. 6th and 7th Grade STEM Robotics - This is for incoming 6th and 7th grade students and will be offered at the Middle School from 9:00-12:00 during the week of June 25th - June 29th. Your teacher will greet you at the front office on the first day. Robotics can be found everywhere in today’s ever changing world. Everything from the car we drive to the food we eat is somehow dependent on the power of robots. Robotics integrates all STEM fields and allows you to get hands-on experience with mechanics, electronics, control systems, and computer science. During the week you will work individually or in small groups to design, build, program, and run Lego Mindstorm NXT 2.0 robots. Exploration and problem solving will be used in a fun and engaging way to solve engineering challenges. Combine your interests of technology, programming, and robotics and join us for this week of fun and learning! Are you up for the challenge? MAX 25 STUDENTS
3. 8th and 9th Grade STEM Robotics – This is for incoming 8th and 9th grade students and will be offered at the High School from 9:00-12:00 during the week of June 25th - June 29th. Your teacher will greet you at the front office on the first day. This STEM camp provides educational activities that allow children to learn 21st century skills as they use the VEX Robotics System. The VEX Robotic System involves programming using a version of C++ called Robot C. This is a step-up from the Lego Mindstorms in that it no longer involves drag and drop icons but actual programming of the robot. It provides a practical and engaging way of involving students in the subject areas through the promotion of student engagement, differentiation, self-directed/hands-on learning, and real-life connections. This program is designed to cause students to become excited about science & technology with teams programming autonomous robots to solve an engineering challenge through a competition with real-world problem solving and inventing. MAX 24 STUDENTS
4. 7th and 8th Grade STEAM - This is for incoming 7th and 8th grade students and will be offered at the Middle School from 9:00-12:00 during the week of July 16th - July 20th. Your teacher will greet you at the front office on the first day. Join us for our first ever STEAM camp!!! STEAM is the fusion of “arts, creative, and self-aware studies" with STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) to engage the whole child and foster high achievement in all areas. STEAM and STEM are about exploration of ideas and possibilities. Both have a “process and product" aspect and require students to engage in creative and critical thinking that supports collaborative learning. Students will create several sketches in a sketchbook/engineer’s type notebook in preparation for creating their project. MAX 20 STUDENTS
5. 5th and 6th Grade Art Camp - This camp is designed for incoming 5th and 6th grade students and will be offered at the Middle School from 9:00-12:00 during the week of July 23rd - July 27th. Your teacher will greet you at the front office on the first day. Do you love creating? Are you a budding artist? Then this camp is for you! Come spend your mornings for a week in July exploring various materials and mediums that professional artists and designers use.
6. 7th and 8th Grade MakerSpace Camp - This camp is designed for incoming 7th and 8th grade students and will be offered in the Middle School library from 9:00-12:00 during the week of July 9th - July 13th. Your teacher will greet you at the front office on the first day. This Maker Camp provides students the rare opportunity to grow from being a user of information, to being a creator of something that is innovative. Students will have the opportunity to create, design, code, build, program, tinker, craft, and invent while collaborating and driving their own learning. Students will have time to explore the following: Sphero/Ollie/Mindstorm robots, 3d printing pens, Snap Circuits, Arduino kits, Raspberry Pi, Keva, Lego, K’nex, Brushbot, LittleBits, Makey-Makey, virtual reality with CoSpaces/Google Cardboard and crafting supplies. This camp is introductory in nature and available to students with no maker experience.