****PLEASE REVIEW ALL INFORMATION BELOW THOROUGHLY TO AVOID ELIGIBILITY ISSUES AND RESTRICTIONS FROM PARTICIPATION - Thank you!****
This form represents a permission form and MUST BE COMPLETED BY A PARENT or GUARDIAN.
***Please be sure that all medical information- physical exam date, medical history, and especially head injury information- is ACCURATE and CURRENT. Updates should be made anytime an athlete is being registered!
**DEADLINES and other Important Dates
1. ***MONDAY NOVEMBER 20th***
**DEADLINE for ONLINE REGISTRATION AND SUBMISSION OF ANY REQUIRED PAPERWORK (Physicals, Concussion education certificates, and PREVIOUSLY OUTSTANDING USER FEES):
IMPORTANT NOTES ON USER FEES:
****ATHLETES WITH A PREVIOUSLY OUTSTANDING USER FEE BALANCE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE UNTIL BALANCE IS PAID IN FULL or arrangements are discussed with the Athletics Department.****
**UPDATE**: WINTER 2017 USER FEE DEADLINES: TRACK-MONDAY NOVEMBER 27th
BASKETBALL- FRIDAY DECEMBER 8th- once rosters are set
***Athletes with outstanding WINTER user fees after December 8th will be prohibited from continuing participation until the user fee is submitted OR arrangements are made with the Athletics Department.***
$220 per athlete for BASKETBALL & TRACK, payable online, (or alternate option- by check or money order to Millis Public Schools)
Hockey, Gymnastics, and Alpine Skiing fees are handled within their individual programs.
**Please contact Athletic Director Chuck Grant at email@example.com with any questions about user fees.
2. PRESEASON PARENT & ATHLETE MEETING (Mandated by the MIAA & State of MA law): each participant and a parent/guardian are expected to attend:
DATE- CHANGED!!! TO TUESDAY 11/21
LOCATION: High School Cafeteria
3. WINTER SPORTS START DATE: MONDAY NOVEMBER 27th (unless otherwise notified by Athletics Department or coaches)
*******REQUIREMENTS FOR ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE (including try-outs) for sports:********
Please contact Jamie Farias, Athletic Trainer at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions on below requirements.
1) ONLINE REGISTRATION and USER FEE: Online payment- instructions in registration. Payment must be completed, or payment arrangements made, by first tryout/practice.
***Registration is not complete until you receive your e-mail confirmation from FamilyID***
Winter Sports offered include:
Boys Basketball: Grades 7-12
Girls Basketball: Grades 7-12
Boys and Girls Indoor Track: Grades 7-12
Coed Alpine Skiing: Grades 9-12
Boys Ice Hockey: Grades 8-12, co-op through Hopedale
Girls Ice Hockey: Grades 9-12, co-op through Medway
Girls Gymnastics: Grades 9-12, co-op through Medway
For registration purposes, just the specific sport needs to be indicated in the "Sections" portion. The level of an athlete's participation (i.e. varsity, JV, middle school, or freshman as applicable by sport) will be determined by coaches when sports begin.
2) PHYSICAL EXAM: ***PHYSICAL EXAMS EXPIRE 13 MONTHS FROM THE DATE THE EXAM WAS ADMINISTERED*** Please submit a hard copy or electronic copy by the deadline given. *NEW*- can scan directly into FamilyID during registration!! Also ok to send via e-mail (email@example.com) or fax to 508-376-7087.
**Should the physical exam expire during the season, the athlete will be ineligible to participate until a new current physical exam form is submitted to the Athletic Department. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made. PLEASE be aware of when it expires and make appointments well in advance.
3) ANNUAL CONCUSSION EDUCATION:
EACH athlete AND a parent or guardian MUST complete the online concussion course AND submit a completion certificate to the Athletics Department ANNUALLY, per state law.
**A COMPLETION CERTIFICATE FOR ONE OF THE ONLINE COURSES MUST BE SUBMITTED IF IT HAS BEEN A YEAR OR MORE SINCE LAST SUBMITTED (i.e. Winter 2016-17 or earlier). If you are not sure, please submit a new one.
Please enter ALL names of those watching the video when you register for/order it!
ONLINE COURSE: http://nfhslearn.com/courses/61037 (login to existing account or create a new one)
OR https://headsup.cdc.gov/ (**NEW- create an account to take course)
***EITHER COURSE IS ACCEPTABLE! Both are free. They both say "For Coaches"- but these are the correct course options for athletes and parents also!
Additional printed materials to be reviewed are listed here:
1. Athlete Fact Sheet: http://www.cdc.gov/headsup/pdfs/custom/headsupconcussion_fact_sheet_for_athletes.pdf
2. Parent Fact Sheet: http://www.cdc.gov/headsup/pdfs/custom/headsupconcussion_fact_sheet_for_parents.pdf
3. Must Read Fact Sheet: http://www.cdc.gov/headsup/pdfs/highschoolsports/nfl_youngathleteposter_concussion_a-must_read_for_young_athletes.pdf
You may access the course and materials now, or access the links directly from the Millis Athletics website (www.millisps.org/athletics). Links will also appear in your confirmation e-mail from FamilyID.
4) ***NEW*** STATE-MANDATED EDUCATION ON OPIOID MISUSE PREVENTION
New Massachusetts Opioid legislation requires that athletes and their parents/guardians receive educational materials on the dangers of opioid use and misuse. Please review the following materials. Electronic signature acknowledgement by both the athlete and parent is required in registration.
Written materials for review: http://www.miaa.net/gen/miaa_generated_bin/documents/basic_module/OpioidMisusePreventionAthletes916.pdf
An educational video is also available at: http://masstapp.edc.org/video-athletes-opioids-and-addiction
5) ATTEND A PRESEASON HEALTH AND SAFETY MEETING (see above info under important dates)
6) BASELINE ImPACT CONCUSSION TESTING: This is different and separate from the state-mandated concussion education!!
**Testing times available Mon. 11/20 or Tues. 11/21, at 3 or 4pm. Please e-mail me if your child needs to schedule a test!
** WHO NEEDS TO TAKE A BASELINE TEST??
a) ALL ATHLETES who took their last baseline for Winter 2015-16 or prior to that, or have never taken it.
b) Players who suffered a concussion since their last baseline test. Post-injury ImPACT testing that was done is not the same as a new baseline.
Otherwise, baseline tests are good for 2 years.
For more information on the ImPACT testing system, please visit www.impacttest.com
Thank you for your attention, and have a great season!