Participation on an athletic team can be a rewarding and meaningful educational experience that enhances a child’s secondary education. It is important that students realize the time demands, responsibility, dedication and sacrifices required when making this kind of commitment. The following information defines the interscholastic policies and procedures for all students participating in our High School athletic programs. The Athletic Department hopes this document provides parents and students with a better understanding of our mission, vision, core values and policies. Please refer to the following information when a question about your child’s athletic experience arises.
Vision of Pioneer Athletics
Watauga Pioneer Athletics will work to be a model department where STRIVING TO BE OUR BEST IS THE STANDARD in everything that we do.
Mission of Pioneer Athletics
With an emphasis on our core values, the athletic department will provide support to all areas of the student-athlete, while working to develop the culture needed to enhance the mission of Watauga High School.
Core Values of Pioneer Athletics
- Student-Athlete (Academics First)
- Encourage the Multi Sport Athlete
- We play/coach for the Watauga W (Teamwork)
Standards for Participation:
In order to participate in organized athletics at WHS, all student-athletes must reside in our district, have a current physical on file in the athletic office, have all athletic forms complete and satisfy all NCHSAA requirements for eligibility.
- Primary residence with parent or legal custodian in Watauga County school district.
- An up to date physical examination must be on file with the athletic director prior to the start of participation. If the physical examination expires in season, the student-athlete will need to provide an updated physical in order to resume participation. All physicals are valid for 390 days from the date of the physical.
- Other paperwork required to participate consists of the GFeller Waller Concussion Form, NCHSAA Eligibility Consent to Participate and Release form, and the WHS Student Athlete and Parent Drug Testing Consent Form. All of the forms can be found on the WHS Athletics web page.
- Student-athletes must also meet all NCHSAA Eligibility requirements