Section IX has rendered a decision, in favor of the Section Covid-19 Task Force recommendation, to move the start of all Fall Sports from September 21st to March 1, 2021. The decision was based on two main determining factors: the safety of the students and the fact that so many of the Section IX school districts are conducting all classes via remote learning.
The Section has approved November 30th as the Winter Sports start date and we hope to begin interscholastic athletics at that time. All Fall Sports will now take place in the months of March and April 2021 with Spring Sports taking place in May and June 2021.
Section IX will continue to monitor the developments and make changes as needed. Our goal is to give all students, in all sports, an opportunity to play this year. I am hopeful and will continue to work hard to make that a reality for our student-athletes.
Online Registrations for all WINTER sports opens October 30th.
Prior to trying out for the upcoming season your child will need the following:
• Note change to sports physicals due to COVID-19:
Student athletes can participate in the fall 2020 sports season if they have previously had a health examination for school attendance in the 2018-2019 or 2019-2020 school year. Those students do not have to provide an updated physical exam. Students that have not participated in athletics in the past will need to provide a recent physical dated no later than August 2019.
• A Sports Participation Form and Interim Health History completed no more than 30 days prior to the start of the season. Completing this online form will complete this.
• All information from this form will require a review by school health services before a child can tryout or practice.
• This review may require additional information or medical clearance for new or existing conditions.
Athletic activities involve the potential for injury; it is the student’s and/or parent’s responsibility to report injuries to the school nurse.
• In accordance with the Concussion Management and Awareness Act, any child with a concussion who is participating in a sport will require a graduated return to activity and will not be returned to competition without the approval of the school medical director.
Section IX has announced new starting dates for the Fall, Winter and Spring seasons.
Winter Sports - November 30, 2020
Fall Sports - March 1, 2020
Spring Sports - TBD (end of April)