Portsmouth High School's interscholastic athletic program is an integral part of the total
curriculum; therefore, a comprehensive program of athletic activities is vital to the
educational development of students. The athletic program provides a variety of experiences to aid in the development of favorable habits and attitudes in students that will prepare them for adult life.
These experiences are designed to serve the school, assist in the development of respect for self and others, promote fellowship and goodwill, promote self-realization and all-around growth, and
encourage learning the qualities of good citizenship, school and self pride.
• To provide a positive atmosphere of school athletics at Portsmouth High School.
• To provide opportunities that will allow athletics to serve as experiences where students may cope with problems and handle situations similar to those encountered in the contemporary world.
• To provide adequate and natural opportunities for:
1. Physical, mental, social and emotional growth and development;
2. Acquisition and development of special skills in activities of each student's
3. Team play with the development of such commitments as loyalty, cooperation,
fair play and ethical conduct;
4. Directed leadership and supervision that stresses self-discipline, self-motivation, excellence and the ideals of good sportsmanship that make for winning and losing graciously;
5. Achievement of school goals and the student's individual goals;
6. Provisions for worthy use of leisure time in later life, either as a participant or
spectator; and development of leadership qualities.
•To remember that an athletic contest is only a game- not a matter of life or death for
player, coach, school, official, fan, community, state or nation.