Greetings ICSD families,
Registration for Spring JV and Varsity Sports will begins February 4th. Spring 2019 JV and Varsity Sports begin March 4th. Please plan accordingly. Any student interested in participating in a Spring sport is expected to be present for try-outs. Try-outs are Monday, March 4th-Friday March 8th. Modified Sports begin March 25th. Registration for Modified Sports begin February 25th.
If your student is interested in trying out or participating for a Spring sport they must be in good academic standing. This means that no more than two classes can have an average of 64 or below.
Please note if your student is currently failing two classes they will not be permitted to try out for a spring sport per the ICSD academic board policy. Please let us know if you have any questions and how we can partner with you
We are here to help, and expect students and families to be a part of academic success planning. We have a variety of options from morning and afternoon study hall to daily yellow cards. Please let us know what questions you have to ensure each student’s needs are met.
Congratulations on making the decision to participate in the Ithaca City School District Athletic Program. ICSD is a New York State Class AA/A athletic program that competes in the Southern Tier Athletic Association within Section 4 Athletics.
Involvement in our athletic programming will give students an opportunity to meet and work with our diverse, talented student-athlete body, our dedicated coaching staff, and a supportive community.
Our coaches are committed, and care about our student-athletes’ well-being. ICSD coaches serve as positive role models for student-athletes, and they foster academic achievement and character development. ICSD coaches engage, educate and empower student-athletes to do and be their best self.
Need help getting to practices, back home or to games? Don't let that stop you from signing up! If you need a ride, there are folks that can help, and you may qualify for a free TCAT bus pass. Contact the team coach or your building’s Transportation Liaison for transportation assistance. Cornell Cooperative Extension also offers a transportation program called Way2Go for ride sharing support. Please visit Way2Go.org for more information.
The liaison at LACS is Lisa Gervais, Boynton is Cathy Gee, Dewitt is Penny Boynton, and IHS is Barbara Bergman.
If you are an LACS sports student that needs to get to the high school or Boynton for tryouts, practices, or games, you would ride a 3:30 shuttle bus there. If you need go to Dewitt you would ride a 3:30 shuttle to Boynton and then ride rt 77 to Dewitt.
If you are a Boynton or IHS student, you would ride rt 77 to Dewitt.
If you are a Dewitt student you would ride rt 77 to Boynton at 3:30 and 76 if you need to go to IHS, Cass Park, or LACS.
EAC Montessori students should ride rt 11 to Boynton, then to Dewitt, IHS, or LACS from there.
Athletic Placement Process (APP)
The Athletic Placement Process is a program for evaluating student-athletes who want to participate in sports at higher or lower levels, as approved by the Board of Regents as part of the school eligibility rules in 1980, and is aligned with Learning Standards 1 and 2. Commissioner's Regulation Section 135.4(c)(7)(ii)(a)(4) states: A board of Education may permit pupils in grades no lower than seventh to compete on any senior high school team, or permit senior high pupils to compete on any teams in grades no lower than seventh, provided the pupils are placed at levels of competition appropriate to their physiological maturity, physical fitness, and skills in relationship to other pupils on those teams in accordance with standards established by the Commissioner.
This program is intended for the exceptional few in each school who would be better served playing on a higher level than age or grade might indicate. It is based on readiness, rather than grade level. It should be noted that once a student participates at the junior varsity or varsity level all NYSPHSAA transfer regulations apply, regardless of grade level. Student-athletes who wish to be considered for this program should notify their physical education teacher during sports sign-ups. The student-athlete must progress through the following steps before being allowed to try out for a team:
1. Parent/Guardian/Caregiver Permission - All students who are to be evaluated must first obtain written parent/guardian/caregiver permission before any evaluation may begin.
2. Administrative Approval - The athletic administrator should confirm that the student is suitable for consideration, which includes the likelihood that the student would play in at least 50% of the games. Additionally, because of the increased time demands of participation at the high school level, the student's academic performance (as determined at the local level) should be at or above grade level. Furthermore, administration should assess the student's emotional readiness to socialize with high school-aged students. If the student is not academically or socially ready, the student should not proceed through APP.
3. Medical Clearance - The district medical director will determine a student's physical maturity level, and compare the physical size of the student in relation to that of the students who the student wishes to compete. If the student is determined to have attained the appropriate physical maturity level and comparable size for the desired sport and level, the student maybe proceed to the next step. If the student is determined to not have attained an appropriate physical maturity level for the desired sport and level, the process stops.
4. Sport Skill Evaluation - The sport coach will rely on past personal observations and may consider input from the student's former coaches to complete the evaluation. If the coach is unfamiliar with the student, the sport coach may wish to observe the student in a physical education class.
5. Physical Fitness Testing - This test must be done by a certified physical education teacher who is not a coach of the sport for which the student will be trying out.